Thursday, April 9, 2009

March Sunshine

This time of year in Alaska the sun starts coming out more consistently and hovering above the horizon longer and longer. During winter you tend to forget how much the sun fuels your motivation and allows you to shred, dance, rock and grab boards later into the night.

March 1st: 10 hours 26 minutes 50 seconds of sunlight

March 31st: 13 hours 19 minutes 26 seconds of sunlight

That is 2 hours 53 minutes 36 seconds of more time to be tweakin tindys and spinin twirlybirds. During March I spent most of this time meeting/chilin with rad new people, shredding with my friends, poppin backies, filming, snowcycling (similar to snow motorcycle), exploring, motorhoming, and enjoying life like there will be no tomorrow. March was one of those months that makes living in Alaska and dealing with ultra extreme conditions and darkness worth it.

For most of the adventures I had my camera with me but was having so much fun I left it in the bag most of the day. I did get some nice shots but not the rad action that Ram has been capturing in the last posts.

Many of my shred mornings start by rolling over to the House and connecting with the rest of the crew.


Ram and I spent an afternoon trecking through the woods in the Hills of Anchorage. Right before sessioned this spot a majestic family of elusive Lynx passed us.


Me practicing lumber jacking



Ram tucking through a birch

The first weekend of the month I cruised out to Valdez to explore and shred an area I had only seen in the summer. Ian and a rowdy crew from the AK Shred Club rolled out in an RV for spring break and we all shredded like crazy for 4 days. My pics don't do the fun any justice but believe it was awesome.

Ian waking up on Thompson pass holding a sword.



Valdez Harbor in the evening after a long day of shredding.


The next weekend Ian and I went riding at Alyeska with some friends and met a rad new possie fo shredders. Apre' consisted of the Sitz and taking over the Brown Bear. The night ended with some fantastic hot tubbin.


Threw up a doom/love dollar and got mounted...

The last weekend in March Ryan Cal and I headed out to Valdez to meet up with the new fun possie (Jess/Jen/Cage) and see what the Valdez Kite festival was like. We loaded up the sleds and rallied out last minute on Thursday and woke up to sunshine and RVs just south of Thompson pass.


Re-visited a spot I shredded a few weeks earlier. Ryan and I almost fell off a 30 ft ledge into open water... Good thing my spider senses told me to stop.


The weather rolled in on Saturday and I had the opportunity to get on a trainer kite and scoot around. Shredding on a kite is difficult with the added complexities, props to guys that are flying hundreds of feet tweaking a sick method.



Met Tom, Eric, Betsy, and a cool crew of peeps that love get down in the mountains and kill it.


More pics from last weekend to come.

1 comments:

drakeula April 9, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

nice use of hyperlinks!!